Thoughts from a Forest of Fallen Trees : The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly Side of Existence

(If a philosopher falls in the forest who really cares?) Critical Theory, Deconstruction, Ethics, Religion and other such Things.

Friday, August 25, 2006

Lacan on his Own Stupidity or What does Lacan Want?

The following quotes are taken from Encore, Book XX. Lacan writes,

"My sole presence is my stupidity". I should know that I have better things to do than to be here....It's stupidity because I myself obviously collaborate in it".

Speaking of his Ecrits he writes, " I thought they were not meant to be read".

Of his unreadability..." I won't tell you to read Phillippe Sollers, who is unreadable, like me as a matter of fact...."

What is incredible...is that Lacan's stupidity has been taken to be the truth of psycho-analysis. In short, Lacan, like Zizek is dependent upon, terms and concepts of which he has not the faintest understanding.

See the wonderful article found at www.dylan.org.uk/lacan.pdf